Pages

Saturday, July 13, 2013

Project: DIY Mason Jar Soap Dispenser

I'm a huge fan of the Ball mason jars and they seem to have exploded in popularity with the help of Pinterest.

When I walked into Target last month and spotted the 100th Year Anniversary Blue Ball Jars, I fell in love!  But what was I going to use them for?  We are busting at the seams in our current home and I've been trying really hard to not bring more "stuff" in.  So I went to work exploring new projects I could do with these beauties.

I already have a vintage bottle collection started in our kitchen, so when I ran across the DIY Mason Jar Soap Dispenser project on Pinterest, I knew it would fit perfectly into our kitchen decor.  BOOM!  A reason to buy a set of those beauties!

You can find the anniversary edition Ball jars at Target on an end-cap.  They come in a pack of 6 for $10.99 and are not available online.  (Are you a Target Red Card Debit holder?  If so, you get 5% off your purchases.)

I bought the jars and went to work (with my sweet momma's assistance).


Mason Jar Soap Dispenser

  1. Gather the following items: 
  • mason jar
  • old soap pump
  • Sharpie marker
  • hammer
  • 1 nail
  • drill and drill bit
  • wire cutters
  • soap


  2.  First, measure and mark the center of the jar's lid.  



  3.  Using your hammer and nail.  Punch a small hole in the middle of your mark.  By making a small hole, it will allow your drill bit to have a starting place.  If you skip this step, the drill bit will just slide around on the to (trust me...trial & error).

  4.  Drill into the hole with your drill bit.  It should make a large enough hole to fit your wire cutters into.



  5.  Now that the hole has been made, carefully insert the wire cutters into the hole and begin bending back the metal.  The metal is very thin, so this is an easy process.  You just want to be careful not to cut yourself on the edges.  Continue pulling back the metal into a larger and larger circle.  You need the hole large enough to fit the widest part of the pump.

You can see the finished hole here.

  6.  You may find the straw of the pump to be too long for the jar.  Simply take a pair of sharp scissors and cut the tube to fit!  



  7.   Slide the pump through the hole, assemble the two piece lid, and pour your favorite soap into the jar.

My current fave soap: Method Sea Minerals


Voila!

Another way to change this project up would be to fill it with lotion instead of soap!  What are your favorite uses for mason jars?  

Like what you see?!  Be sure to pin it to your Pinterst boards.  You can find a "Pin It" button below.  Like my projects?!  Be sure to follow my Pinterest boards.  Click on the P button on the right side of this blog.


Best, 
Juliana





No comments:

Post a Comment