Pages

Saturday, August 10, 2013

Swollen Summer Fingers? Jeweler's Secret!

I have an autoimmune disease called Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome (POTS)...yeah, say that 5 times fast!  One of the symptoms of the disease is blood pooling in my extremities.  I especially swell in my hands and fingers...so the heat from the HOT Florida summers makes it worse!

I know a lot of people experience swelling in the fingers during the summer time, so I thought I'd share a trick I learned from a local jeweler in Destin.

Do your fingers swell to the point of not being able to comfortably remove your rings?

Mine do!!  I would nervously try to remove my rings at night knowing that they probably wouldn't come off. & if I gave up in the middle of the struggle, they would get stuck and be painful.  So in a panic, I'd run my fingers in cold water & soap pulling and tugging.  

A few months ago, Husband and I went to our local jeweler in Destin (McCaskill & Company) to pick up his new wedding band (long, sad story behind it...but McCaskill helped us find a perfect David Yurman for Hubby).  Of course, as any woman in a jewelry store does, I wanted to try on some rings of my own. Sadly, it was hot day and I couldn't remove my ring...not even for cleaning!  The nice man looked very concerned and asked if I'd thought of having my rings re-sized.  (I have and don't want to...it's really just a swelling issue...why put my shiny ring through torture?)  I explained to him my condition and the fact that it'll never go away.

So the lovely man at the store let me in on a jeweler's secret for getting rings & off swollen (or too big) fingers...
Today's swelling...some days are so bad
it starts hurting.  This is minimal for today's heat.



Ready for it?




WINDEX!



Yes, Windex.  I know...what?!  He grabbed a bottle from beneath their counter, spritzed my finger & low and behold...the ring slid right off.  

I asked the questions you are probably asking yourself...

Will this hurt my ring?  No.  In fact, it is much better than using water & soap, lotion, veggie oil (you never know...).  

Is this bad for my skin?  It could be...don't douse your hand in Windex & wash your hands after.  Simple as that.

Does it help get your rings on? Yes! On & off!


It works so well, I now keep a Windex Touch Ups on my bathroom counter.  I use it for taking off my rings & it's handy for quickly wiping down surfaces in my bathroom.  You can find coupons for the Windex Touch Ups often.





$1.00 off of 1 Windex Touch Ups printable coupon HERE
&
$1.00 off of 1 Windex Touch Ups printable coupon HERE


I hope some of you find this helpful, especially since this Summer weather is here to stay for a bit longer.



Aloha,
Juliana




2 comments:

  1. That is very Greek Wedding.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the tid bit...I am too having issues with my ring and do not want to resize. This summer is the first time Im having issues. Tonight was the most worst and painful time I had trying to remove my ring to the point it removed a lil skin off my knuckle.

    I will definitely try this.

    Thx

    ReplyDelete